Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pop-Culture and Sports: Michael Jordan and The Godfather Trilogy

My mind works in very strange ways and I usually find myself daydreaming about sports or something else when I should be focusing on more important things. I also like to read stuff written by Bill Simmons, a popular writer for ESPN.com. He often takes different items from popular culture and relates them to sports in some way, and I find myself trying to come up with things like this. I guess part of me selfishly does it to try and get included in his mailbag someday, but another part of me just really likes being in that trance and blocking out whatever may be going wrong at the moment. So from now on when one of these pop-culture/sports comparison ideas hits me I think it might be decent or fun or entertaining or whatever, I will share it on the blog. Feel free to leave a comment telling me how interesting or awesome it is or how big of a tool I really am. Either way I would like to know what you guys think. So here is entry number one:

Michael Jordan and The Godfather Trilogy


Here are some of the reasons I feel these two can be compared:

- Michael Jordan is generally considered one of, it not the best basketball players to ever lace ‘em up. The Godfather Trilogy is generally considered one of the best cinematic accomplishments of all time. Parts I and II are ranked #2 and #3 on IMDB’s list of all-time highest rated movies. All of this is a simple comparison that probably needs no explanation for most people but I included it anyway.

- Michael Jordan’s first name is Michael. Michael Corleone, the lead character in the Godfather, is also named Michael. Simple. Let’s move on.

- This is where it gets fun. The Godfather Trilogy is made up of The Godfather Parts I, II, and III. Michael Jordan’s NBA career can also be split up into three distinct parts. Part one ran from 1984 to 1993. He then retired from the NBA for the first time. Part two ran from 1994 to 1998 when he retired for a second time. Part three ran from 2001 to 2003. This was the part when MJ came out of retirement again to play for the Washington Wizards.

- The three distinct parts of both the Godfather and Jordan’s career also share some similarities. The Godfather I was a huge success and won three Oscars. The first section of Jordan’s career was also incredible, including three NBA championships, three league MVP Awards and three NBA Finals MVP Awards. Lots of threes there. Strange but not earth shattering I suppose. The second sections of each are great as well. Both are right on par with the first sections in terms of greatness. MJ wins another three championships and Godfather wins six Oscars. The Godfather III is similar to Jordan’s stint in Washington. Neither could live up to the standard set forth by the previous two sections but people still loved to see them anyway. I would also argue that the sexual tension between Andy Garcia’s character and his cousin in part III was awkward and uncomfortable for people, just like seeing Jordan in anything other than a Bulls jersey.

- Another eerie comparison between the two: both Michaels must deal with the death of their fathers at the end of the first stages. Vito Corleone dies in the garden and Michael becomes the new Don of the family. Michael Jordan’s dad dies and Michael makes the switch to baseball. Kind of creepy.

So all of this explains why I feel Michael Jordan compares to the Godfather trilogy. I welcome you guys to add anything I missed in the comments. Give me something to waste time thinking about as finals are fast approaching.

1 comment:

  1. you might be on to something. the line between brilliance and insanity is a very thin one, however. tread lightly

    ReplyDelete